Sunday, March 9, 2014

The First Day

Hello everyone! My name is Hannah, I am currently a student at the College of Wooster, and this is my first year doing the service trip to Esperanza. Yesterday, me and seven other of our group members loaded a plane and flew across the country to sunny San Diego, where we rented a van and drove across the Mexican border to Tijuana. Some of us had been here times before, while it was the first time for a few. Since it was my first time to Mexico all together I really didn't know what I was getting myself into, but after being here for two days, I've realized that it is one of the most amazing communities I've ever stepped foot in.

Yesterday, we were introduced to our leader, Eduardo, who has welcomed us with open arms to the country. After meeting, our crew went out and did some general grocery shopping, then went on an adventurous trip to a few cities over to do some shopping and get dinner.

Today, we adventured downtown Tijuana with Eduardo. We made stops at the cultural center, many  souvenir stores, and the United States/Mexico border. It was a nice fun filled day to relax and enjoy before our first day of work.

Seeing the border fence was a great experience for this trip. It is virtually so large that there is no way to climb over it. It is crazy to think of a country you live in as being so against people coming over to it. Looking through the fence, to our country it made me think of something you dream of having on the other side, but it is virtually impossible to get to. The fact that people suffer, and even die to get to this dream is unimaginable.

Tijuana, is an amazing city with amazing people who have been so welcoming since the moment we arrived. What we hear from the news stories of this city have given all of us a bad image on it, whenever it's hospitality is unbelievable. I can't wait to continue on with this trip and make more new friends along the way.

-Hannah


No comments:

Post a Comment