Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Mis pensamientos de mi estancia en Esperanza (My thoughts on my stay at Esperanza)


Yesterday...I went to the doctor in a local pharmacy which before work with Ella, Kevan's wife and a nurse. We talked to the doctor about my cough and the doctor said I had a very bad sinus infection. Ella found it very interesting and a great experience for her in healthcare outside of the US. The doctor gave me amoxicilin and cough medicine to take one every 8 hours for 7 days. Yesterday, I didn't work much while others were cementing rooms in the house because amoxicilin is very sun sensative and I was dragging all day. Today was completely different at the work site and I was able to shovel sand all morning in the sun and talk and felt more like my fully energetic self. I will still be careful of being in the sun too long and drinking a lot of water but it felt great helping the family and completely being able to work today. 

Today...Work day: I shoveled sand to make cement today for a roof in a new colonia & felt much better. I stayed in the shade and talked a lot with an 8 year old girl and a Mexican man who's named Nacho. He moved cement bags and shoveled cement. He was awesome to talk to and told me we needed 50 bags of cement for the day. We finished at noon after starting at 9a and had a great lunch of tacos with the family. We thanked them and them us before heading to the girl's orphanage. We took pictures (mainly the Providence College students but our group as well), which I don't like because I'd rather just help and know I made even the tiniest difference in someone else's life. Tomorrow, we will be working on Nacho's house. I met his 6 year old son and his adorable 2 month old white chihuahua puppy named Malin. I'm very excited to spend more time with his family, get to know them and help them however I can (in the way they need-like cementing). 

Casa hogar, El huérfano para las niñas, girl's orphanage: It was so much fun playing soccer, tag or trais, doctor y piggy back ride or capuche. An 8 year old girl, Mariana was very attached to me. I played doctor with 3 other 8 year old girls. Doctor is not what we think in the US. 4 of us tangle our arms and legs together while the "doctor" counts to 30 or so and then comes and the people tangled calls the doctor and they come to untangle them. Mariana also did my hair. One older 12 year old, Paula told me there are girls who are 1-16 years old. She was brilliant but didn't know it. All kids were energetic & friendly. They sang to us 2 songs: La Llorona (http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Llorona_(m%C3%BAsica) & Joyful, Joyful (in Spanish). It was beautiful and a great way to end our meeting.

When we got to the orphanage. here, per usual I was la traductora (translator). At the beginning of this trip, I wasn't thrilled with that idea but I've come to come into my own skin with it and enjoy this new leadership role. In helping others through our work in the colonia on the houses, our activities like the orphanage & translating, I have discovered even more how I feel called to live in a Latin (most likely South) American country & teach English/teach in general. Being back in Mexico (after trying to privately tutor in Merida, Mexico after studying abroad in June) I feel so happy. Helping and using my Spanish and being in this wonderful culture makes me feel so happy and truly myself. I am so grateful and happy to be on this trip. 

¡Que Dios les bendiga y estén re-bien! God bless you and hope you're doing very well!  

Hannita

No comments:

Post a Comment