Monday, March 10, 2014

Primer día del trabajo

Hola a todos! Bienvenidos a nuestro primer dia del trabajo! Welcome to our first work day!

My name is Hannah Weil and I am a senior Spanish major, education minor at the College of Wooster. I am thrilled to be able to use my Spanish and help others this week in Tijuana.
Today started off bright and early with everyone eating breakfast of cereal, oatmeal and coffee around 6:30a-7am so we could go walk around the flea market before starting our first service project at 8:30a. We walked around for a while and we ended up leaving at 10a. We arrived at the house in Colonia (neighborhood) La Mesa we were going to cement the floor of the 2nd floor around 11am. We met the family which included a single women and her dog who is going to use the house to take care of her mom. She was very gracious for our work even before we started. Eduardo, our awesome construction leader, had us introduce ourselves before we divided out work. Moving cement was exhausting but very well worth it. I sat out for most of the day because I was feeling sick (I'm much better now) and got to talk to the women who cooked us a fantastic lunch of any type of taco imaginable. Muy riquisimo (very good!)! They are some of the friendliest and most grateful people I have ever met. I love how everyone in the colonias knows each other and the community comes together for each other. I got to know the women really well and they were shocked I'm a senior (they said I look like I'm 12 and understood me sitting in the shade because of being under the weather) in college. After lunch, the group worked for 2 more hours before we headed back to La Posada to shower, change and relax before dinner of more delicious tacos from our new favorite restaurant, La Taqueria La Gloria.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to work more and be feeling better! We will be in at another home site to cement the roof. We'll be cementing pros by the end of this week!

Nos vemos pronto! See you soon!

Hannita (as I'm called in México)

No comments:

Post a Comment